Thursday, September 10, 2009

Topic 4 parts 1,2, 3 & 4

How would I manage my blog or wiki?

I would manage this with respect to the user. Obviously people are going to have their own opinions, and wants and needs, but these should tie under a specific purpose to the blog, such that, if the wiki was about dogs and someone started changing the information to include cats, it would sway from the general community bias of dogs, and the user’s postings would need to be undone, or removed with warning. An online discussion forum must also be prepared for debatable topics, such as religion or politics, and each member of the forum should be given rules to comply with so that things can be discussed freely without nonsense of name calling and direct attacking.

Q2:- My blog site is blog host Blogger.com. The purpose of my community is to post answers as a submission. These answers are tasks in the subject ITC213, and a few of my colleagues are following my blog. My vision is such that my colleagues can come and see my point of view, or my opinion on topics they have a different, or even similar opinion to. The community is easy to work with. The hardest part is finding each other in the first place, as we are constantly asking for email addresses on the forums, and the postings get lost somewhere towards the bottom of the forum. There is a description, or profile that bloggers can fill out about themselves, however this isn’t for everyone. A lot of people wish to remain anonymous on their blogs, however for the folk who don’t mind, they are able to submit a thumbnail picture of themselves, along with a brief description and their likes and dislikes, giving back ground info on the user. Community rules have been developed in that i will never reveal the company i work for, or my name. Lucky for my name is androgynous, so people may think i am either sex until they read more about me. I expect that as rules go, no one would leave inappropriate or rude comments on my blog, as i am definitely the leader on my page. Regular events do promote relationships with my followers, and there will come a time where they might feel they ‘know’ me without having even met me. If i do not post for a while, subscribers would become less interested and may not be willing to play ‘catch-up’ on my online life. I am only one person, with 4 followers, this is not a large group, hence no need for subgroups, no is there a need for people to have roles on my blog.

As for the 3 underlying principles:-

- My blog allows for growth and change, as I can create more pages and topics, follow others, and change the appearance, or details on the blog. I can edit pre-existing posts, change the colour scheme, and the layout of my page.

- Community feedback can be created with the comment button. It can also be deleted or maintained, with me being able to delete unwanted comments.

- The blog does not allow for my followers to have more control. The only thing they can do is subscribe to my blog, and comment on it. I prefer it this way, seeing as it is MY page... J

Exercise 2:-

3 Ways a user can have more control in an online community are:-

- Be given more accesses – some users a part of an online forum may have read accesses only until they have served a certain amount of days on the forum, when they are granted write accesses.

- A user can become the leader of an online community and coordinate members – for example a guild leader in an MMORPG or online multi player game, who coordinates other members to attack the enemy.

- A user can make friends in an online community and be more comfortable in posting and expressing themselves, or conveying their opinions.

Q2:- 3 tips/rules i have learnt from online meetings and interactions:

- Steer clear of any conversations that involve religion and or politics, as they always, always, always end up messy.

- Do not criticize or attack people, as it always, always, always, ends up messy, especially when you are new to that particular online community and the person you’re attacking has been there longer.

- Always, always, always, re-read your words BEFORE you post. If something can easily be misconstrued, change the wording, or omit the sentence altogether.

Q3:- Social networking sites must develop a guideline for usage, not only to guide and assist newcomers to the community with acceptable behaviours and practices for usage, but to aid existing members and remind them of acceptable behaviours and social policies of how to treat other individuals. A main reason why is because people have grown up in different cultures with different belief systems, and when you put these people in a room together you are likely to get clashes, and differences of opinion. The guidelines provide a law to abide by and any member that doesn’t comply may be omitted from the community. The laws are there for people to check what is acceptable and what is the norm.


Q4:-

Sites for learning:

Have challenges for learning - Ning, Deli.cious, RevYu, Digg, Bubbl.us.

Don not impose challenges for learning - Yahoo, Bebo, FB, YT, LinkedIn, TeacherTube, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, SocialGo, Reddit.

Sites for challenges with professional development in the workplace

All sites impose issues with professional development in the workplace because people tend to forget that once the information is up there it can be retrieved by anyone, and you may have posted something that shows you as inapproriate or gives your workplace the impression you are noty professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment